Sunday, October 28, 2012

Thanks For Taking a MINUET to REED My Newest Update!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN WEEK EVERYONE!

After three months of craziness, highs, lows, new faces, and growth I am writing this update from home in VA.  I got to come home this weekend and be with my friends and family.  This was MUCH needed as I am going into the most intense part of my internship and my work load is getting larger and larger.

Its wonderful to sleep in my own bed and let loose with my friends--last night we all dressed up and headed out to DCs "Nightmare on M Street." Here is a picture of some of us starting off the evening! (Cop, Flubber, Kitty, Surgeon, Nerd, Nurse, Popeye)  There were some AWESOME costumes out--I LOVE Halloween!!



Now onto business:

I have officially started two new rotations: IOP, and Star Rockers.


Star Rockers is another group I get to work with at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!  A small census of 5 wonderful geriatric clients.  The IOP Program is a group for adults with mood disorders.  We use music therapy to address issues the patients discuss in their other groups in new ways in hopes to give them a new or different perspective on things.  It's a little nerve racking because I spend a whole hour talking with these people about some pretty deep things. I am so thankful and honored they open up to me and are engaged in what I present them--over these next 4 weeks I hope to make (even a small) difference in their recovery. My first session went very well, we focused on the topic of support systems.  I worked towards the goal through worksheets, lyric analysis, and a songwriting intervention.  Next week I'll be doing a session about mood modification and mood matching with music. In this rotation, I not only work on my music therapy skills, but also counseling skills!



Last but not least, I also got my 3 Month Evaluation (DUHN DUHN DUHN) <--creepy music...did you get that?

It went very well!!  Every evaluation has great things, aaaaand talks about areas that need improvement.  Nothing my supervisors said came to a complete shock.  It was wonderful to hear them talk about some of the great things I'm doing and how much I have grown.  I also enjoyed the opportunity to be able to express how much I am learning and coming into my own as a professional. Personally, the main thing I want to work on is my confidence in ALL of my skills.  Over the past 3 months, I have gained new skills and refined others, the next step is to recognize all of my strengths and to utilize the skills that I KNOW I have.  If I can do that---I can do soooo much more for my clients!


I thank all of you for your continued support and interest in what I am doing! I pray you all stay safe in HURRICANE SANDY'S path!

"I got chills they're multiplyin......"

                              

(Making light of a terrible circumstance..)

No comments:

Post a Comment