Sunday, October 14, 2012

Conference has me BEAT.

Wow, wow, WOW what a great week/weekend!

Just have to briefly mention I have now started going to Hope Lodge twice a month

The Joseph S. & Jeannette M. Silber Hope Lodge is a unique home away from home for people who need temporary, comfortable, supportive accommodations offered free of charge during cancer treatment.

This outreach rotation is just such an honor, the interns at UH get free range of these evenings, planning any kind of music activities/interventions and the people we serve are among the bravest and most wonderful.

Lindsay and I had our first session and we played music bingo; there were about a dozen residents and all of them sang, played instruments, and loved us for a little more than an hour.  One man continued to thank us for bringing what we do to them, saying "You are truly doing God's work."

I cannot wait to continue to visit Hope Lodge during the last stretch of my internship.



BUT
most of all...this weekend was AMTA's NATIONAL CONFERENCE in Chicago (well..St. Charles, but close enough right)

It was a total blast, and such a great way to spend my last days as junior intern and say goodbye to Lindsay :(

Lectures I attended:
  • Utilizing the iPad in a Medical Setting
  • AMTA Business Meeting (and a celebration of life)
  • Innovative Expressions: an experiential session showing great intervention ideas
 
  • Success: Establishing a Music Therapy Program in an Adult General/Specialty Hospital
  • Managing a Medical Music Therapy Program in Changing Economic Times
  • Personal Disclosure in Music Therapy Sessions
  • Vocal Psychotherapy
  • Research Committee--Music Therapy for Pain Management
  • ....not to mention the opening ceremonies with "The Four Bitchin' Babes" (seriously that's what the group was called)
This was my first NATIONAL conference and there were so many lectures during each time slot that I wanted to attend, but had to pick and choose.  I learned a ton, and had fun while doing it, so thanks to all the amazing presenters and the tools you've given me!

All the learning was masked by constant fun--constantly surrounded by beautiful music and people from all over the nation/world that shared my passion was simply amazing! 


Lindsay and I were quite the jet setters this weekend, even stopping in downtown Chicago on our way in for a bit of sight seeing and coffee--Chicago is pretty cool, wish we had more time there!


We spent Thursday-Sunday livin it up at the beautiful Pheasant Run resort..causing a ruckus with our fellow music therapy professionals/students/and even supervisors ;)

Here is a view from our room:


I had a chance to hangout, grab drinks, and go to dinner with some of the best people around: SHENANDOAH UNIVERSITY!!!! (Shoutout to Dr. Rohrbacher, Bronwen, Dr. Tauge, Claire, Brenton, Hannah, Alison, Kara, Kristina, Tracey, Sarah, and Jackie (Hope I didn't forget anyone!)





I enjoyed all the networking I got to do, meeting tons of new professionals and friends that are doing great things in our field.  It was fun to meet the MT's I follow via social media too!


As we said goodbye to 2012's conference a stretch limo awaited to take Lindsay and I to the airport

 Lindsay is off to do some amazing things, she got a job in Columbus, OH working in an acute adult psych facility--I could not be more excited for her, she deserves it!

I cannot begin to tell you how much she has done for me over these crazy 3 months, I am so blessed to have had her!!  She helped me in and out of the hospital, being there for me whenever I needed her, and became a true confidant and friend. I have no idea how Deforia and the rest of UH has put up with us for all this time.  LOVE YOU LINDSAY!!!

With that said...I am OFFICIALLY senior intern.  Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment