Sunday, July 29, 2012

If You Can't Find Anyone To Sing With, Duet Yourself!


So, now that you have an understanding of how awesome Music Therapy is, lets move on.

 Second week of internship was a lot more enjoyable, I was able to get myself organized and get a handle of at least all the book work I am supposed to accomplish over the next six months.  I was also able to spend a lot more time on the floor and do a lot of observing and listening.
My favorite day this week was Tuesday.  I spent the day at another branch of UH and followed their MT.  We saw six patients, which is actually kind of a lot!  The most amazing thing I saw, which I will probably hold onto for the rest of my life, was a patient who was curled over in extreme pain and sobbing.  Unfortunately, this patient was not really able to communicate well.  Without hesitation, the MT and I went right in and started to play and sing.  I held her hand and harmonized with the therapist. We then realized she was not just having pain, she was extremely lonely. It took her a long time to start to calm down, the therapist tried many different techniques until she started singing and playing songs like Michael Jackson’s “Beat It,” Tina Turner, Spirituals, things of that genre.  Immediately the patients affect turned around, she calmed down, even started singing (mouthing) the words!  I could not believe it, the nurses had been trying everything for this patient but nothing had worked, yet as soon as we found that outlet and her preferred music, we built a trusting relationship with her and she was able to lay back calmly and watch TV.  Not even ten minutes later, we heard this LOUD scream; it was the same patient.  Her bedding was being changed, and so was she.  With nurses cleaning her and moving her around, it was painful and traumatic.  We went back in and started singing and playing, right away she grabed the MT's hand and pointed at me and smiled.  She was still crying but was “singing” through it, and even kissed the therapist’s hand a couple of times.  By the end of the procedural cleaning and change, the patient was laughing along with the nurses.
It was truly amazing to see how we could enter this person’s world with music and connect with them when speech and other mediums were not working.  With that music, we were able to build a relationship, and provide support and comfort--not to mention, she forgot about her pain. 

Music Therapy is all based on preferred music.  We are not going to come in and force you to play a song by Justin Beiber if you like The Rolling Stones, it just doesn’t make sense!  Music Therapists have to build a repertoire of songs starting from the 1910’s to NOW so we can be ready for whoever comes our way.  Occasionally we find we may be at a little bit of a loss, such as when we’re asked to play heavy metal.  I was once told by a client that they prefer old school rap—good thing I knew a whole verse of a Biggie song and used it successfully. *Brushes shoulders off*  Knowing a huge range of music not only makes me a better musician, more well rounded in MY personal preferences, but obviously, a better therapist. 
I’ve yet to come across a client who prefers the same kind of music I do.  Well, besides the older generation who loves jazz and showtunes.  Otherwise, I’m still waiting for someone to want some, I don’t know, Gavin Degraw or some awesome alternative stuff. 
This brings me to a discussion I had with one of my supervisors on Friday, musical genres are becoming less and less specific.  For example, not only do you have rock, you have indie rock, alternative rock, 60’s rock..!!  That is going to change and challenge our field greatly.  We are going to have to learn so many more songs and genres to adjust to our future clients, because lets face it, we aren’t going to have too many more people telling us their favorite song is “5ft 2, Eyes of Blue."---> Alright MTs lets all start building our remixing skills!
Anyway, what I got out of my second week was that I need to start building my rep and also having the patience to figure out what speaks to each individual can be one of the most beneficial thing one can do in the therapeutic process.  Each week, no, each day continues to show me all the amazing things music therapy and music therapists can do.
Other things I learned:
         How to (functionally) play and tune an autoharp

         Improvisational skills on guitar
         Silence is OKAY!
         Listen. To. Everyone. (and RETAIN IT)
         Actions speak louder than words.

I will leave you with one of my preferred the songs which I am actually listening to right now.
 Dance With Me by The Sounds.


I’d be interested to know what YOUR preferred music is…leave a comment if you want tell me your favorite song or band/singer, perhaps I'll learn one and play it in a future blog post!
I hope everyone has an AMAZING week. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment