Sunday, July 22, 2012

It is NOT natural to be THAT sharp.


Well, I survived the first week!
It feels really good to be getting settled in and focused.  The first couple days were very administrative, but after that, it was time to dive in headfirst!
Everyone kept telling me, just breathe because the first week makes you feel like your head is going to explode—tons of information, assignment plans, expectations--everything thrown at you at once.  Now that it’s the weekend, it all seems doable with focus and hard work.  I’ll admit that school came a little easy to me, and I really didn’t put in 100% effort.  With this internship though, I know I have to put in every ounce of effort I’ve got.  Looking at everything I am supposed to accomplish over the next 5/6 months, I realized I am going to be an amazing therapist. I am definitely in the right place if I want to be ready for the professional world.

                                                             TOO LEGIT TO QUIT!

Things I’ve learned:
 I DO NOT have enough professional clothes. (oh darn, looks like I have to go shopping)
Mental health is scary and also one of the most interesting populations I am going to work with.
Everyone messes up.
The hospital cafeteria is actually pretty awesome.
Cleveland roads, are terrible, really, REALLY terrible.
SOB stands for “short of breath,” not…the other thing.

My co-intern is just awesome; she’s almost like another version of me, except a little more together because she’s been at it for 3 months already.  I hope I am as organized and successful as her when I become someone’s senior intern.  It’s nice to have her around to talk to, hang out, and ask questions, otherwise I may just be completely lost and a little lonely!
I have 4 supervisors, each one different and amazing in their own way.  Each also has their own specialty: psych, hospice, cancer, physical rehab, etc.
I’ve found my jogging route, have gotten myself downtown a few times, and I am starting to learn the ins and outs of Cleveland! (Finally made it to the rock and roll hall of fame—go there its pretty great)  The woman I live with is nothing but nice and each day gets better and easier.  Not only has my family been amazing these past 7 days, but my friends too.  Calling me, FaceTime-ing me, and I am SO thankful for that, that constant reminder that I’m loved, missed, and CAN do this!  I have people coming to visit me today as well as next weekend—I am too excited! 
Random cool story to wrap up:  A Korean film crew was following our department around because they are making a documentary about music therapy around the world.  The one guy who spoke English knew where Leesburg, VA was and said “Isn’t that the place with the huge outlet mall?”  Talk about a small world!
(Also, I guess I’ll be famous in Korea)
Anywho, that was the short, sweet, and scattered version of my week.  I have a feeling I could write an entire novel for each post, but I shall spare you. 
Have an amazing week everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment